'If you die tonight' - Just a thought..

I was listening to a song a few weeks ago which had some lyrics which really stood out to me:

‘If you die tonight, where would you be? Where would your soul spend eternity?’

Wow.

A pretty big question as far as I can see.

I really had to think about this. If I was to die, am I living in a way that would make me certain I'm going to spend eternity with God? At the time, to be perfectly honest, I really wasn't sure if I was. I was in a rubbish place and I wasn't really taking any notice of God.

This felt like a bit of a kick up the bum. The blunt truth is I could die at any time, so why am I living in a way that makes me question the way I’ll spend eternity? And anyway, the commandments he gives us and they way of living he shows us is for our own good. It’s the best way to live. I want to be able to live like that. I'm trying to live like that. It’s really not easy, I'm so far from perfect because I'm unfinished and God’s still working on me. But there’s no point in doing things that are no good for me in the long run that will leave me with an eternity of suffering...

One thing I'm thinking about at the moment is how do I work on this? How do I get to the point where I stop making the same mistakes? How do I start to live the way I'm supposed to and want to? It’s really not easy...being a Christian isn't easy...but then again it’s not supposed to be! It’s meant to be a challenge!

I want to find things that can act as constant reminders to me of my faith. I recently stuck a metal fish shape on my car so that I think about how I drive as people around me will know I'm a Christian. If I drive badly, people will think badly about Christians. I would love to get a cross necklace or something that can remind me of how I should be living. I used to write bible verses on my mirror so that every time I looked in it, there was a reminder of God. I'm trying to change the people I spend time with and the music I listen to and the TV I watch. I’d love to say I'm doing really well at all these things, but I'm not. I need God’s help, but I will get there.


There are so many other things I could try to do. I need to start doing these things. I need to start living differently. I need to make sure I'm confident of where I’ll spend eternity, and I hope that this post will get you thinking about the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment